Skip to main content

The Crimson Wave

UPDATE: this experiment did not work well with absorption! It works well on a lighter day, but not heavy days. 

...It came...

I knew it would come, and today it came, much sooner than I had hoped it would. I immediately grabbed my trusty tampons, with the trusty plastic applicator, and in the trusty and sanitary plastic wrap containing it...


..And then...


I did what I thought I would never do in my whole life...


Because only boon dock hippies would do something like this, and not me...




Oh yes I did. (O_O)

I talked to my mother about the possibility of forming my own feminine hygiene products earlier this week. She said to me sternly that I would soon have a whole lot less friends if I ever attempted reusable feminine products. I accept this challenge, just like I decided to accept zero waste into my life. Only true friends will still stick around after this.

If these don't work well, I will try sewing my own reusable pads together and see what happens with those.

Just some very quick facts as to WHY I would EVER try to do this:
  • Tampons cost around $100/year per woman. (not too bad, but what else?)
  • They contain interesting things like pesticides, dioxins, GMOs, and sometimes fragrances.
  • One woman produces 1000 pounds of waste from women's tampons, pads and applicators in her lifetime.
  • We create one million tons of tampon waste every year in the USA. That's the size of two and a half Empire State buildings.
  • The applicators take at least 500 years to break down.
Time to ride the wave. Zero waste style.

And I would like to apologize to my friends for this intimate post. I am so so sorry.


Laura

Comments

  1. Hey Laura, my niece used these on an outward bound trip = yes they are rubber, but totally reusable. http://rubycup.com/how-to-use-a-menstrual-cup/using-on-the-move/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Should I Compost?

Today is a new day! With renewed vigor I set out to try to find LOCAL beeswax. The first thing I am dying to make on my zero-waste journey is my own reusable saran wrap. Amazon prime is so tempting, so quick and simple to buy plastic-packaged beeswax...But in order to reduce waste I decided to try hard to find any kind of beeswax I wouldn't have to have shipped. After making a few phone calls to local farms nearby, I was directed to Bee Commerce in Newtown, which is close by. Unfortunately they don't open until Thursday, so I will just have to wait! Better to wait than to waste, right? Something that has been weighing on my mind today is the word COMPOST. I happen to have chickens, and though adult chickens will devour most of the chicken-edible scraps I give them, most of mine are babies right now, and won't eat very much of it. I have been left with a lot of food waste going into my garbage can. Perfectly good scraps of food that could otherwise go to the so...

Dishwasher Detergent and Reusable Baby Wipes

I have decided to draw a line when it comes to zero-waste: I will not work with poop. Whenever I think about it, I cringe. It is just too much for me. So I won't be purchasing cloth diapers, instead I will keep to my beloved and trusty pampers disposables for one more year before I potty-train my youngest girl. I want to try to form some kind of compromise, however, and at least reduce the use of wet wipes. So I'd like to try out reusable wet wipes for wet diapers, instead of soiled ones. I'll have a little bucket on the floor for dropping the wipes into, and then I can wash them later. As to what kind of bucket, I'm still working on that thought. perhaps a small bin with a step lid. So I threw some cute wet wipes together! Got some cute flannel patterns (so I might enjoy using them a little more!) I used a Huggies wipe as a size template for what my reusables would look like. Cut them out...   Took my handy dandy serger, and whisked all the edges toget...