Skip to main content

A Zero-Waste Christmas!

Hi Friends! I hope you all had a fantastic holiday this year! I wanted to write about what I have been trying to do/discover this Christmas season to make my life a little more zero-waste. I'm grateful for the friends who have chatted with me and helped me on my journey. Together we can all be a little less wasteful, and a little more loving to our earth. 

LET'S TALK ABOUT WRAPPING GIFTS!

This year I had decided to try to use my Christmas gift wrap so that I can transition next year into more zero-waste options. One of my friends had been reading my blog, and contacted me about what she decided to do for gift wrapping. I'm so grateful she paved the way for me (and all of us!) to part from paper gift-wrapping traditions. She decided to go to her local fabric store right after Christmas, and pick out all the Christmas fabric deals. She brought them home, and made her own Christmas gift wrap bags, and then wrote about it! The gift receiver can use them for their own gift wrapping too! 


In Japan they have such a beautiful way of wrapping gifts, it's called Furoshiki. Basically they wrap all of their presents in gorgeous scarves or cloth, and then the reciever can wear or reuse the beautiful cloth for their gifts or themselves. The wrapping can be a pretty gift! Ebay has loads of pretty scarves, and also second hand stores.


If you still have gift wrap like me, here is a great way I found to wrap a gift without plastic tape:


You can also reuse your old newspapers, (or in my case, my in-law's newspapers!) as reusable gift wrapping. We especially love the funnies section, so you can have a good laugh after the gift is open.



A PERFECT ZERO-WASTE GIFT

I want to surprise my mother with a special zero-waste gift that I've procured over the months just for her (We have been sick here at home, so we are postponing our gift giving until everyone is well again, I haven't given it to her yet!). The main idea that has been mulling around my head has been how can one bring with them items that will help them to remain kind to the environment and to their own environmental goals? I want to tell you that I have the answer, and it is the most perfect gift for a friend or a loved one who wants to begin a zero-waste journey too. It looks like this...


It looks like a little makeup bag...That's because the bag is I think. I found it new at Goodwill a while back, and I've been thinking for a long time what to do with it. Now I know. It's a little carrying bag that you can put in your car or your purse if it's big enough. Let's take a look at the goodies held inside!


First off are some reusable tissues/napkins for all of your on the go needs. I gave mom some cute prints I thought she'd like. She can pop them in the wash with her clothes and reuse them again!


I got mom some random cutlery so she can opt for these instead of the plastic utensils at the fast food places. There is also a steel straw included, which is one of the most handy items around!!


Mom wanted to try out my shampoo bar that I got from Whole Foods, so I got her one for Christmas and put it in her bag.

Guess what? I also have a zero waste bag as well! But mine is a bit bigger, and contains a few more things, so let's have a look:

I found my bag from a second hand shop that I love, called The Turnover Shop in Wilton. I enjoy finding second-hand things, because it feels like I found great treasures when I discover them.


In my bag is the menstrual cup, which is an alternative to tampons or pads, and is reusable and washable. I included a small wet bag to carry it in so it stays sanitary and doesn't touch any of the other items. There is a larger wet bag as well for putting my used tissues in. These bags are made of PUL fabric, which is a waterproof fabric. I included a wet bag for mom too.


I too carry reusable tissues, and they have been invaluable for my kids in moments of need outside the car. I also have some diapers for my 2 year old, because I am not strong enough to do the reusable diaper thing...Maybe if I had started when she was first born it would have been easier, but it's something I have to compromise within myself. Fits great in my bag though!


I too have my own cutlery and steel straw. In fact, I often carry three straws for my kids if they need their own when eating out. 


This thing is one of the most handy things, and I wanted to get mom one, but haven't gotten around to it yet. It is a reusable bag that would take the place of any plastic bag you are receiving for picking up something quick at the store. My green monkey bag stuffs into itself to create a compact carrying size. I feel lot of satisfaction when I tell the cashier "I have my own bag," and bring out my little monkey face bag. :p

So that's my awesome zero-waste gift! Perfect for you or for your loved one!


THE SURPRISE FAMILY GIFT

I surprised my family with a very special gift this year, and even my husband didn't know....


The children asked me "What is this? A toilet? I don't get it." And then we explained....And I suppose I'll explain it to you too, in case you don't know what a bidet is...When going #2, you turn the little dial, and it will spray off your nether regions. This will help you to feel squeaky clean when you leave. It's all the rage in Europe and especially Japan! My children laughed and laughed, they thought it was the funniest thing! What was even more funny though, was when my husband set it up in our bathroom. When he first turned it on to test it, the bidet sprayed him! 


Perhaps this will be a fantastic conversation for all our guests in the future when they use our bathroom. If you are thinking about getting a bidet, you may want to buy the kind of bidet that has a warm water option...Because I did not do that...And my goodness, it is FREEZING this cold December!! 

A bidet is an excellent way to begin your zero-waste lifestyle to use less toilet paper. Remember that we all have buying power, and the toilet paper you choose to buy will effect our environment. Here is my previous post about which one is the best paper option available right now. I'm almost out of my toilet paper that I bought from my pre-zero-waste days, and hope to transition to the "Who Gives a Crap" brand soon. But since we got the bidet, I would also like to try out the idea of, at least for me, going completely paperless...PAPERLESS you say? Yes, paperless! Here is a woman who explains what she does about using what is called "family cloth." It is an interesting idea, albeit not for everyone, but as a dedicated zero-waster, I'd like to try it out myself and see how it goes. And yes, I will still have toilet paper for you to use if you come over!!


I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas! I know I did, and I hope next year I can be even better than I was this year. By better I mean by possibly making my gifts, and buying experiences rather than things for my family. Neither of those things will need an Amazon box in the mail, and I would like to cut back on those in the future. Every little bit we do will make a big difference!

Cheers!
Laura

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make Deodorant With Me!

Hi Friends! It's been a while, and I am still implementing and tweaking many practices with my family's zero waste routine. Recently I found that my husband's deodorant from the previous post wasn't quite up to snuff as I wanted it to be. My "Meow Meow Tweet" deodorant had been all used up, and so I was on the hunt for figuring out something that we both could use. I was determined to find the ingredients given by Lauren Singer, in her youtube video: The ingredients are: 2 Tbs arrowroot powder 1 Tbs baking soda 1 Tbs coconut oil 1 Tbs shea butter a few drops of essential oil of choice a glass bowl a spatula a glass jar of sorts Baking soda is the easiest, as it can be found anywhere in a cardboard box that can be recycled. I also buy coconut oil in as large a container as possible (preferably a glass jar because glass can be easily recycled). After a year of waiting, a beautiful zero waste shop in Newtown Connecticut called &

How to Make Beeswax Wrap! A Step-by-Step Tutorial

The very first thing I ever researched when I first attempted a zero-waste lifestyle was how to make beeswax wrap. I saw a cool facebook commercial about how you can use them over and over, just wash them with mild soap and water, and when they are done just cut them up into your compost. WOW! Who needs saran wrap then? But then I looked online to buy myself a few squares of these pieces of zero-waste gold.... "HOW MUCH does it cost again for three measly sheets of beeswax wrap? $19?? That's nuts, I'll just have to figure out how to make it myself!"  --famous last words. Today is the day that I finally get to write about how I made my own beeswax wrap! I took a lot of pictures of the process, so maybe I can help someone out there in the internet world. And maybe after you read about it, you can decide to get dirty like me, or skip all the mess and purchase some instead. It's so great that we have choices today! At first I had no idea what exactl