Skip to main content

Make Deodorant With Me!

Hi Friends!

It's been a while, and I am still implementing and tweaking many practices with my family's zero waste routine. Recently I found that my husband's deodorant from the previous post wasn't quite up to snuff as I wanted it to be. My "Meow Meow Tweet" deodorant had been all used up, and so I was on the hunt for figuring out something that we both could use.

I was determined to find the ingredients given by Lauren Singer, in her youtube video:

The ingredients are:
2 Tbs arrowroot powder
1 Tbs baking soda
1 Tbs coconut oil
1 Tbs shea butter
a few drops of essential oil of choice
a glass bowl
a spatula
a glass jar of sorts

Baking soda is the easiest, as it can be found anywhere in a cardboard box that can be recycled. I also buy coconut oil in as large a container as possible (preferably a glass jar because glass can be easily recycled). After a year of waiting, a beautiful zero waste shop in Newtown Connecticut called "BD Provisions" opened up near me. I go there to obtain shea butter, and I brought a jar with me to put it in.

I know this is meant to be a Connecticut blog, and finding ingredients in Connecticut, but for the life of me I couldn't seem to find Arrowroot Powder in bulk in the stores. Then James and I took a trip to Canada this last summer, and visited the beautiful store called "Bulk Barn." It's every zero waster's heaven in there, with barrels of scoopable anything, including, arrowroot powder!! I brought my mason jars, and filled up two container's worth for making our deodorant. 

Now I am finally ready to make our deodorant! We tried this recipe once before as an experiment. I am here to let you know that it was a great success, and when my deodorant finished I was finding myself using the one I made for my husband. So now this has become both of our deodorants. 

The one thing I wanted to mention that I wasn't a fan of the grainy feel that the baking soda had. So this time that I had made the deodorant, I halved the baking soda, and added more arrowroot powder. So one tablespoon of baking soda that it called for, I did half a tablespoon of baking soda and half a tablespoon of arrowroot powder instead. You can adjust it to the consistency you like. You may find that the baking soda feel is fine for you, but if it isn't then know that you can adjust the amount and substitute it for more arrowroot. 



I decided to make six times what the recipe called, because I knew it worked well for us and I didn't want to make it often. I took out three jars but ended up only using two. Here are some options for you: from left to right is a small mason jam jar, a cleaned jar 
from"better than boullion," and the third jar was the empty deodorant jar I had gotten from the brand "meow meow tweet." Their deodorants were expensive to continue to buy, so I decided to make my own deodorant instead. You also see the essential oil, the baking soda, arrowroot powder, coconut oil, and the shea butter.

First we boiled a pot of about 3 cups of water. Make sure your pot is small/large enough to create your double boiler with the glass bowl on top of it. You will use the bowl and the heat of the steam to melt your ingredients together.

Next we added all the ingredients in a glass bowl except for the essential oil. 

Then we put the glass bowl on top of the boiling water, to help melt the ingredients. Use a spatula to mix it around.




We sniffed through our essential oils, and we both enjoyed the scent of citrus for our deodorant. You can choose any kind of scent that smells great to you. Lauren Singer from the video used the lemongrass essential oil. Since we multiplied the ingredients times six, we used about 24 drops.


 I didn't want to pour the whole bowl over my tiny jars, so I used a measuring cup to scoop the deodorant into the jars.

 

 It looks and smells great! I am going to use the small jar for traveling, and the large jar for our everyday deodorant needs. 

Put the warm jars of deodorant into the refrigerator to cool off and harden.

And now it is ready!!! 

Wishing you all a smelly afternoon!
Cheers!
Laura



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Zero-Waste Christmas!

Hi Friends! I hope you all had a fantastic holiday this year! I wanted to write about what I have been trying to do/discover this Christmas season to make my life a little more zero-waste. I'm grateful for the friends who have chatted with me and helped me on my journey. Together we can all be a little less wasteful, and a little more loving to our earth.  LET'S TALK ABOUT WRAPPING GIFTS! This year I had decided to try to use my Christmas gift wrap so that I can transition next year into more zero-waste options. One of my friends had been reading my blog, and contacted me about what she decided to do for gift wrapping. I'm so grateful she paved the way for me (and all of us!) to part from paper gift-wrapping traditions. She decided to go to her local fabric store right after Christmas, and pick out all the Christmas fabric deals. She brought them home, and made her own Christmas gift wrap bags, and then wrote about it! The gift receiver can use them for their own g

How to Make Beeswax Wrap! A Step-by-Step Tutorial

The very first thing I ever researched when I first attempted a zero-waste lifestyle was how to make beeswax wrap. I saw a cool facebook commercial about how you can use them over and over, just wash them with mild soap and water, and when they are done just cut them up into your compost. WOW! Who needs saran wrap then? But then I looked online to buy myself a few squares of these pieces of zero-waste gold.... "HOW MUCH does it cost again for three measly sheets of beeswax wrap? $19?? That's nuts, I'll just have to figure out how to make it myself!"  --famous last words. Today is the day that I finally get to write about how I made my own beeswax wrap! I took a lot of pictures of the process, so maybe I can help someone out there in the internet world. And maybe after you read about it, you can decide to get dirty like me, or skip all the mess and purchase some instead. It's so great that we have choices today! At first I had no idea what exactl