Skip to main content

My Husband's Zero-Waste Personal Care Routine

I'm super lucky to say that my husband, James, is going along with my zero-waste household initiative. He recently has called me a hippie for all these changes, but I don't mind. Perhaps I am a hippie! It's taken a few months to go through what we currently had for James's care routine, but I now have transitioned everything to where I can write a solid blog post about it! Gentlemen, take  notes, and ladies who do their man's shopping, jot this down.


SAFETY RAZOR: After we went through his last disposable razor (and giving the rest to a homeless shelter), I  bought James his first manly-man razor. It's the kind of razor that your grandpa used to shave with! This safety razor is from a company called Albatross, and the cool thing about them is that they will take back your razor blades for recycling.

 The weight of the razor is much heavier than the disposable ones we are all used to, and it will take a small learning curve to figure out how to shave again. You let the weight of the razor gently glide down your skin, you do not apply much pressure at all. James came to me with a cut up face the first time, but after the third or fourth time he got the hang of it, and we assume it might have also been the new razor blade.

  SHAVING CREAM: guess what? You don't need shaving cream!! I bought a local homemade soap bar that I thought smelled nice, and James uses it for his shaving needs. So far it's worked perfectly!

 DEODORANT: I have read quite a few tutorials on how to make your own deodorant. The biggest problem I had with them is that it required ingredients that I couldn't purchase zero-waste, such as shea butter and arrow root powder. I did find a recipe with Coconut oil in it, and I have been told that coconut oil could leave grease marks, but so far it hasn't for my man. He also has not been complaining about it, and he leaves smelling great, so let me tell you the zero-waste recipe I found works well for him:

2 tablespoons coconut oil
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons baking soda
10 drops essential oil (I used lemon grass)

In a small jar combine the ingredients, and use a chopstick to mix together. I felt that I needed to melt the coconut oil first in order to effectively combine it all together, so I put the jar with the closed lid in some hot water in a bowl, and the oil melted so I could mix. You can also melt the coconut oil before hand in a microwave. When finished mixing, place in the refrigerator for the oil to harden back up. Tada! Deodorant!

SHAMPOO: We found this shampoo bar from a local Connecticut woman on Etsy. I originally bought this bar so that our whole family could use it, and I liked the ingredients that she used. But when we first got the bar, found that it had a very manly smell, and it didn't smell like something I would want to use. I have since gotten used to the smell, and James uses it on his own hair. I can say confidently that I was right about the great ingredients in this bar. This really leaves hair feeling clean and nourished. James smells great when he gets out of the shower, so this is a bar that I suggest would be perfect for men. You may love the smell of the essential oil combination she puts in, as smells are a personal taste. She has other bars too you can try, or you can ask her to make a bar without the essential oil (I am going to try asking that next). I say give it a try! Just be sure to ask that she ship her soap without plastic.

That's it! Wow, that was so easy, wasn't it? James is completely zero-waste now in his personal care routine! He was much easier to transition than me, I still am working through finishing my own products from before my zero-waste change. I hope that this will inspire some of you to ditch the disposables, and opt for some fun, cost effective, and environmentally loving alternatives. The planet thanks you!

Cheers!
Laura


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Zero-Waste Christmas!

Hi Friends! I hope you all had a fantastic holiday this year! I wanted to write about what I have been trying to do/discover this Christmas season to make my life a little more zero-waste. I'm grateful for the friends who have chatted with me and helped me on my journey. Together we can all be a little less wasteful, and a little more loving to our earth.  LET'S TALK ABOUT WRAPPING GIFTS! This year I had decided to try to use my Christmas gift wrap so that I can transition next year into more zero-waste options. One of my friends had been reading my blog, and contacted me about what she decided to do for gift wrapping. I'm so grateful she paved the way for me (and all of us!) to part from paper gift-wrapping traditions. She decided to go to her local fabric store right after Christmas, and pick out all the Christmas fabric deals. She brought them home, and made her own Christmas gift wrap bags, and then wrote about it! The gift receiver can use them for their own g

Make Deodorant With Me!

Hi Friends! It's been a while, and I am still implementing and tweaking many practices with my family's zero waste routine. Recently I found that my husband's deodorant from the previous post wasn't quite up to snuff as I wanted it to be. My "Meow Meow Tweet" deodorant had been all used up, and so I was on the hunt for figuring out something that we both could use. I was determined to find the ingredients given by Lauren Singer, in her youtube video: The ingredients are: 2 Tbs arrowroot powder 1 Tbs baking soda 1 Tbs coconut oil 1 Tbs shea butter a few drops of essential oil of choice a glass bowl a spatula a glass jar of sorts Baking soda is the easiest, as it can be found anywhere in a cardboard box that can be recycled. I also buy coconut oil in as large a container as possible (preferably a glass jar because glass can be easily recycled). After a year of waiting, a beautiful zero waste shop in Newtown Connecticut called &

How to Make Beeswax Wrap! A Step-by-Step Tutorial

The very first thing I ever researched when I first attempted a zero-waste lifestyle was how to make beeswax wrap. I saw a cool facebook commercial about how you can use them over and over, just wash them with mild soap and water, and when they are done just cut them up into your compost. WOW! Who needs saran wrap then? But then I looked online to buy myself a few squares of these pieces of zero-waste gold.... "HOW MUCH does it cost again for three measly sheets of beeswax wrap? $19?? That's nuts, I'll just have to figure out how to make it myself!"  --famous last words. Today is the day that I finally get to write about how I made my own beeswax wrap! I took a lot of pictures of the process, so maybe I can help someone out there in the internet world. And maybe after you read about it, you can decide to get dirty like me, or skip all the mess and purchase some instead. It's so great that we have choices today! At first I had no idea what exactl